On December 7th, 2016, the Justice Department of the House of Representatives voted 12-6-1 in approving the Death Penalty Bill.
This controversial issue has been hotly debated by different sectors in the Philippines. Many supporters of President Rodrigo Duterte agree with the reinstatement of the death penalty.
However the implementation of the bill into a law might take some time, as certain opposition groups and parties will vote against its reinstatement. For example, several religious leaders were present during the proceedings this morning - in protest of the bill.
Unfortunately, their arguments were ignored by the committee.
These are the crimes covered by the death penalty bill:
- Criminal liability for planting evidence
- Criminal liability of a public officer or employee for misappropriation, misapplication or failure to account for the confiscated, seized and/or surrendered dangerous drugs, plant sources of dangerous drugs, controlled precursors and essential chemicals, instruments/ paraphernalia and/or laboratory equipment including the proceeds or properties obtained from the unlawful act committed.
- Cultivation or culture of plants classified as dangerous drugs or are sources thereof
- Destructive arson
- Importation of dangerous drugs and/or controlled precursors and essential chemicals
- Kidnapping and serious illegal detention
- Maintenance of a den, dive, or resort where any dangerous drug is used or sold in any form
- Manufacture of dangerous drugs and/or controlled precursors and essential chemicals
- Piracy in general and mutiny on the high seas or in Philippine waters
- Possession of dangerous drugs
- Qualified bribery
- Qualified piracy
- Robbery with violence against or intimidation of persons
- Sale, trading, administration, dispensation, delivery, distribution and transportation of dangerous drugs and/or controlled precursor and essential chemicals
- Unlawful prescription of dangerous drugs
Share this story!
Visit and follow our website: Trending Balita
© Trending Balita PH
Disclaimer: Contributed articles does not reflect the view of trendingbalitaph. This website cannot guarantee the legitimacy of some of the information contributed to us. You may do additional research if you find some information doubtful.